Contact Location
History of HPBC


A Sunday School was begun at the Orchard Knob schoolhouse. As the work grew and preaching services began, J.M. Chauncey, who visited several Sunday schools became involved. On Sunday, October 26, 1890, the Church Covenant and Articles of Faith were accepted. The church was named Orchard Knob Baptist Church with 12 charter members.


The church moved to Sawyer Hall on Willow Street and Chamberlain Avenue. The church name was changed to the Beech Street Baptist Church.


The church had outgrown its building. The Beech Street building was sold and a wooden frame building was erected on the northeasterly corner of Orchard Knob and Union Avenue. The church name was changed to Highland Park Baptist Church.


The wooden frame building was torn down to make way for the building now known as Phillips Chapel completed in 1922.


Dr. Lee Roberson accepted the call to be the pastor of Highland Park Baptist Church.


The 3, 000 seat Chauncey-Goode Auditorium was completed.


A new 6,000 seat auditorium was completed.


Dr. Lee Roberson resigned as pastor of the Highland Park Baptist Church and became pastor emeritus.


Dr. David E. Bouler accepts the call as the pastor of Highland Park Baptist Church.


Renovation on the interior of the Main Auditorium was completed.


Dr. Danny Lovett accepts the call as co-pastor of Highland Park Baptist Church.

Home | About Us | Ministries | Sermons | Visit Us | Blog | Contact Us | Location

© 2009 Highland Park Baptist Church, Chattanooga, TN